A circular lily pond was constructed in 1925. Its enlargement and landscaping to a design by the Parks Superintendent, Walter Sawyer in 1996 has made it less formal than the original pond, which was typical of a pond of the 1920s. The new design reflects the style intended by James Bateman’s original plan for the Parks, which was submitted in 1863.
Bateman made a decisive impact on Victorian gardens and his plan for the Parks was popular. However, it was rejected following various concerns and after objections to the development cost (estimated at £9,475) were raised.
Rather unglamorously, this is on the former site of the Parks’ rubbish dump which accounts for the change in ground levels.
It is named after Charlie Cox, a former keeper of Parson’s Pleasure bathing, which was originally a secluded area on the opposite bank designated for male-only nude bathing. Parson’s Pleasure was closed in 1991 and the area was cleared and landscaped to become part of the Parks.
A group of swamp cypress (Taxodium distichum), a deciduous conifer, growing nearby are part of the earliest plantings made in the Parks.